Deep Freeze Cloud is designed to minimize the impact on your network in order to reduce the consumption of resources on your internet connection. Once installed the Cloud Agent on each workstation will send a heartbeat to our cloud servers to check for any updated policies that need to be applied. This heartbeat will normally occur when the computer boots up and then once every 6 to 8 hours after the system is started. This heartbeat, provided that no actions are being taken on the client, is about 13kb in traffic.
Deployment of the Cloud Agent will require that the Cloud Agent be downloaded and that the various product installers for your policies be downloaded for installation. In total a policy that enables all products currently would require approximately 108mb of data to be downloaded for installation as well as a full set of Antivirus Updates.
Antivirus updates will vary in size and frequency as they are updated to include changes to support the detection of new threats, at this time a full set of antivirus updates is about 235 mb and incremental updates generally are about 250 kb per update.
In the event that there are events on the workstation that need to be reported to the Cloud Service (Malware detection, Anti-Executable Violations, Power Saving Results) additional traffic will be consumed. Some common tasks are listed below to provide an idea of the expected traffic loads.
- Power Saving Event Occurs (Monitor off / Sleep / Wake Event) – 1.5kb
- Configuring Deep Freeze (With a maintenance mode) – 20kb
- Assigning an Antivirus Policy (With common settings) – 35kb
- Disabling / Enabling Active Protection in Antivirus – 4.9kb
- Assigning an Anti-Executable Policy (With 200 files in the policy) – 99kb
Working with workstations through Deep Freeze on Demand does incur additional traffic, as shown below;
- Reboot 1 workstation - 6 kb
- Reboot 3 workstations - 16 kb
- Shutdown 1 workstation - 6 kb
- Shutdown 3 workstations - 16 kb
- Reboot Thawed 1 workstation - 6 kb
- Reboot Thawed 3 workstation - 16 kb
- Reboot Frozen 1 workstations - 7 kb
- Reboot Frozen 3 workstations - 15 kb
- Reboot Thawed Locked 1 workstation -6 kb
- Reboot Thawed Locked 3 workstations - 15 kb
- Send Message (default) 1 workstation - 4 kb
- Send Message (default) 3 workstations - 8 kb
- Lock Keyboard and Mouse 1 workstation - 9 kb
- Lock Keyboard and Mouse 3 workstations - 23 kb
- Unlock Keyboard and Mouse 1 workstation - 8 kb
- Unlock Keyboard and Mouse 3 workstations - 23 kb
Based on this information it is possible to calculate out the expected data load for each workstation based on the expected number of actions that will be taken on a workstation over time.
With no other actions taking place on the client systems administrators could expect to see about 60 kb of traffic from each workstation managed through the Cloud Console in a average work day in addition to the Antivirus updates applied to the workstations.
Migration Specialist Name