This document describes how to redirect Bitdefender Endpoint Security Antivirus on XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 workstations using Data Igloo.
Folder redirection requires a physical relocation of the folder onto Thawed location. In many cases relocating Anti-Virus data folders may be not possible, since most of the AntiVirus software have some sort of self-protection mechanism, which prevents moving the AntiVirus components.
One of the solutions would be creating new empty Anti-Virus data folders before installing AntiVirus software, which will allow redirecting them successfully using Data Igloo. Then the AntiVirus software can be installed into its already existing and redirected folders. In this case, those folder names can be figured out on any other reference computer, where the specific Anti-Virus software is already installed.
Redirecting Bitdefender using Data Igloo user interface
This solution provides steps for redirecting Bitdefender Endpoint Security Anti-Virus data on the workstation using the mentioned approach of creating Bitdefender’s folders before installing Bitdefender itself.
- Faronics Data Igloo must be installed on the workstation
- Bitdefender must not be installed on the workstation
- Deep Freeze workstation must have ThawSpace or Thawed partition with minimum 1.5 GB of free space
Use following procedure for redirecting BitDefender:
1. Reboot workstation into Thawed state.
2. On the computer where Bitdefender is not installed create following new folders, which will be used by Bitdefender:
3. Using Data Igloo folder redirection feature, redirect newly created folders onto Thawed location.
5. Using Data Igloo registry redirection feature redirect newly created key onto Thawed location
6. Install Bitdefender Endpoint Security on the workstation
7. Reboot workstation into Frozen state. Now all new virus and spyware definitions, history of detected items, as well as Bitdefender’s settings will be retained across reboots.
Redirecting Bitdefender using Data Igloo scripting
This solution is based on the mentioned above steps, but utilizes a scripting functionality of Data Igloo (it is supported starting from Data Igloo version 2.0).
1. Reboot workstation into Thawed state
2. Download the attachment and rename Bitdefender_redirection_script.txt to Bitdefender_redirection_script.vbs or any other name with .vbs file extension.
3. Run the script with elevated privileges. It will prompt for the Thawed location path and automatically create all required folders, registry keys, as well as perform all redirections described above. Alternatively, the Thawed location path can be passed to the script as a command line parameter which allows to use the script in silent mode (with Deep Freeze Custom Action or any third party remote deployment tool). For example:
In this example the script will redirect the Bitdefender folders into "T:\redirection_target" folder. In case of registry redirection feature of Data Igloo is turned off, it will be automatically turned on by the script and same location "T:\redirection_target" will be used as a Thawed location for the registry keys.
4. Install Bitdefender Endpoint Security
5. Reboot workstation into Frozen state
Note: this procedure applies only to Endpoint Security Editions of Bitdefender.